Spice up your Life in Nazareth

by Sarah on February 2, 2010

turmeric roots (yellow) and Indian barley (black)

In these days of scientific clarity, information overload and hitech revolution the spice store seems to be the only place which retains a bit of mystery, the scents emanating from within suffused in history and folklore. Selling herbal medicines, incense, wild herbs, spices and dried fruits the Galilee Mill holds the aura of the past, in the ancient stone building in the heart of the old city of Nazareth. It is owned by the Elbabour family, who have been in the business for three generation and have extensive knowledge of the local plants and their uses.

Tony Kanaza, Manager of Elbabour, Galilee Mill

Ma'amoul molds

The modest entrance to the store with bird flying in

zaátar, broadbeans and nigella seeds

mortar and pestle

The labyrinth of narrow passages and ancient buildings where the spice store is located is the backdrop of modern life in Nazareth, with churches and mosques competing with each other for Nazareth’s skyline.

Mosque overlooking the shuk

Church of St. Gabriel, Orthodox church

At the entrance to the Synagogue church, still decorated with Christmas colors and thought to be built on the remains of the synogogue Jesus attended

Entrance to the Synogogue church from the shuk

Isaac February 2, 2010 at 6:29 am

I see you found the mother lode of maamoul molds! Did you pick up a sedge while you were there?

Sarah February 2, 2010 at 7:33 am

I bought a saj at lod shuk a few years ago and use it in the backyard every once in awhile. I was so happy to find those molds and at a great price as well!

Celeste February 2, 2010 at 9:11 am

I was so excited to see your latest post as I had been to Nazareth many years ago.
The pics brought back memories of so many things that meant so much to me.
I miss shopping at the spice stores.
Your pictures are oh so lovely.

Yael February 2, 2010 at 9:13 am

As usual lovely post. Seems you had a great time in Nazereth. waiting to taste some great maamouls with the new shapes.

Yael the Finn February 2, 2010 at 9:19 am

I enjoyed reading about the this spice store in Mimi’s blog and now I enjoy reading it again in your blog.What an interesting place that shouk is! I too have a few maamoul moulds…..

Cmiranda February 2, 2010 at 11:15 am

Beautiful pictures especially with the bird in the shop.Happy to see some places never change and still maintain thier traditional ways.

Mimi February 3, 2010 at 3:05 am

Very beautiful, Sarah! This post really brings back the day we spent in Nazereth.

Nanette February 10, 2010 at 2:58 am

Sarah thank you so much for sending me those Ma’amoul molds – I love them! Please thank Tony for me next time you’re in his wonderful shop!