Fresh Lemonade! Ice Cold Lemonade! Only 3 Shekels a Cup!

by Sarah on July 11, 2010

Friendly people of the neighborhood

Old Fashioned Lemonade and an Old Fashioned Summer

Several months ago my oldest son decided to open up a cookie business called “Sweet Ideas”. He baked batches of chocolate chip cookies and wandered around the neighborhood with his friend Gal trying to sell his goods. It wasn’t going as well as expected so he printed out dozens of flyers and pasted them all over the city.

A few days later there was a knock on the door. A man was standing outside with my son’s flyer in his hand.

“I am from the municipality, is this yours?” he said in an official voice. Unable to lie I told him it was.

“It is illegal to hang flyers and if it is done again you will be fined”.

“Since you’re here, do you want to buy any cookies?”, I asked.

I had to relay this information to my son Alon who was angry that he was too young to be hired, then only ten and couldn’t even advertise around his own neighborhood.

Undaunted, this summer he decided to open a lemonade stand with his younger brother, Uri. On the first day of vacation they built the cutest stall you have ever seen, complete with wheels and a lopsided sign. After trying several locations he decided to stick close to the local grocery. “I buy all the lemons from him so it’s a good deal for both of us”, was his logic.

The first two days didn’t go so well but the local vegetable vendor and grocer gave my sons some business tips

“Come when it’s hot, not so early in the morning”

“Add water to the lemonade, it’s too sour”

“Dilute with ice, lemons are expensive this season”

This weekend he built another stand and lacking additional wheels put it on a skateboard and wheeled it to the second location, near the vegetable market. Each brother manned their own stall while another friend rode his bike between the two of them to relay information. Today another three friends have joined the operation. For them this is more fun than any camp could be.

LunaCafe July 11, 2010 at 9:04 am

I’m so impressed with your son’s initiative and entrepreneurial zeal! This is EXACTLY how million dollar companies are formed. A good idea, belief in oneself, no fear, dragging in friends, listening and responding to suppliers and customers. Bravo! …Susan

Robin from Israel July 11, 2010 at 12:09 pm

That’s quite a young entrepreneur you’ve got there – my 9 year old sells toys in the local park occasionally but it only takes him an hour to become frustrated and come back home. Love the sign, if I lived closer I’d buy out his whole stock, I love fresh lemonade.

———————————–
My photography is available for purchase – visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Sarah July 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Thanks Susan and Robin, Today they came home at 8 pm, totally excited that they sold out and people were asking for more. All that they are missing is a megaphone like they use in the local shuks :-)

Yael the Finn July 11, 2010 at 9:48 pm

What a resourcefull boy you have! Wish him lots of success with his lemonade stand:-)

yael July 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Kol-Hakavod. you’re probably very proud that you raised such diligent, hard working, smart and independent boys. lots of success and a happy summer to you all.

Liz@Cafe Liz July 12, 2010 at 2:08 am

Cute! So they’re taking after you in the kitchen?

Sarah July 13, 2010 at 7:47 am

no, they do the baking and I stick to the cooking :-)

Marc Anthony July 12, 2010 at 11:48 pm

This is Awesome! If all kids would step out of there shell to move forward the world could be a better place! By the way my Hebrew is rusty lol. Kama kasef is 3 Shekels a Cup? For That awesome lemonade! In US Dollars?

Sarah July 13, 2010 at 12:23 am

lol! it costs about 75 cents (ze oleh 75 cents), (lemons are expensive this season)

Marc Anthony July 13, 2010 at 5:35 am

Good deal! love your site!

Zahavah July 15, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I love the stories about your industrious boys!

Sarah July 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Thanks Zahavah, it’s also great to have them and all their friends out of the house as well for a bit.

OysterCulture July 18, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I consult to start ups so my heart was so proud to learn of two budding entrepreneurs in the making. They sounded like they were getting sound advice on their pricing strategy and it is always good to understand how the competition is faring. They definitely had the right idea to advertise to get the word out, too bad the municipal inspector was such a stickler. For their sake, I hope the weather stays hot =)