Macarons- Clouds and Orange Zest

by Sarah on November 26, 2010

macaroons

Macaroons with orange zest

Jamie and Deeba have a fun little project going on over at Mactweets bringing together macaron lovers around the world. Anyone who can bake a mean batch of macaroons can participate. I learned the hard way that this is a very exclusive club as there are more pitfalls in making these finicky cookies than I ever thought possible.

Let’s see, my first attempt wasn’t a complete disaster until I bit into one. Apparently I had used powdered sugar that was stored near my baharat spice (Arabic spice mix) making all of my cookies taste like meatballs. My kids wouldn’t eat them.

I continued to marvel at the multicolored puffs of heaven  and decided to buy a pastry bag and liquid food coloring especially for this project. A mistake.  Instead of sunny yellow,  the food coloring turned the  batter grey. It looked disgusting so I added more, drop by drop until the batter had the consistency of a milk shake. It was impossible to pipe them and I ended up making a macaron sheet cake the color of a dead fish. My kids wouldn’t eat them.

I had it with macarons. But Deeba (she’s the baking Queen) told me she tried more than twenty times! Wow.  With that little motivational pep talk I wasn’t about to give up.

The theme of this month’s Mactweets Mac Attack are autumn flavors.  In Israel, November was unusually warm and there was nothing remotely autumn about it. Everyone is hoping for rain so I left my macarons white to represent the clouds we all desparately need. I also added orange zest to the white chocolate ganache filling since it is the beginning of citrus season . That was the plan but my oven was too hot and the cookies turned slightly yellow instead of  fluffy white.  Perhaps they look like clouds in an autumn sunset?

macaroons

Anyway, it was almost impossible to photograph them with three boys hovering over the cookies waiting to snatch them.

I used Jamie’s basic recipe with a citrus twist in the white chocolate ganache (100 grams heavy cream, plus 100 grams white chocolate and a tablespoon of orange zest).

macaroons

lora November 26, 2010 at 5:26 am

These are so cute! And the pictures…WOW!

Yael the Finn November 26, 2010 at 6:06 am

Wow,you made macaroons! I love those things,and yours are so pretty pretty! I have been planning to make them for ages,but still have not….

Cherine November 27, 2010 at 3:42 am

Your macarons are gorgeous!! Lovely shots too!

Marina Goldstein November 27, 2010 at 1:37 pm

שרה תכיני לי…אני כל כל כל כך אוהבת

Sarah November 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm

the problem w/ macarons, they disappear too fast!

נאוה November 28, 2010 at 8:00 am

love it sarah you are such a gift to all of us~

Deeba December 1, 2010 at 3:12 am

Gorgeous … love how whimsical and light as clouds these are. Pretty pictures too. Thank you for joining us at MacTweets. It’s a pleasure to have you there!

Shea M. @ Blissfully Unrefined December 1, 2010 at 8:39 am

I’m new to the whole mac-baking thing too (this is my first MacTweets month), and I’m loving all the different variations. It’s so interesting to see say, 5 people make the exact same recipe, and come out with 5 different outcomes! I’ve been pretty lucky in my own explorations (2 batches down, no major disasters yet – although I realized that my first batch was waaaaaaaay overbaked after making a much better second batch). I’m so glad you had success this month and look forward to seeing more of you later!

Jamie December 1, 2010 at 11:48 am

Oh Sarah, such beautiful pictures! They do look like little orange-flavored clouds! And practice makes perfect (for some! My first several were perfect and then I had several failures but never one that tasted like meatballs!). Thrilled you baked with us for Mactweets this month and hope you join us every month. I love the orange flavor for autumn.

Zahavah December 5, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Wow…macarons! I’ve failed in my two attempts…and just stopped there. I do hope you get your much needed rain!

Sarah December 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm

rained just as I am reading your comment, finally, but for the carmel forest a bit too late

Shelly August 8, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I enjoy reading your post but even more the food that you cook. Everything looks delicious. There a few recipes I would like to try. Thank you!