My Incredible Edible Flower Garden

by Sarah on January 30, 2011

I don’t have much of a flower garden; it’s interspaced with herbs, weeds and potatoes plants. But it’s a glorious green after months of monotonous yellows and grays.

rain drops on grass

morning dew drops in my garden

Last year’s drought and record temperatures left many gardens withered and neglected; water was too scarce to use for anything but the necessities. On top of the extreme weather, my son decided to see what would happen if dumped a mixture of salt, soap and various other chemicals he found around the house into the garden. It killed everything, that’s what it did, even the plant that was protecting the house (luckily the evil spirits did not notice the lack of my rue plant).

So I can’t bring myself to pull out even the ugliest weeds, they all seem so beautiful to me. Don’t laugh at my sentimentality; you’d be the same if perfect blue skies lasted for eight months.

While most of North America and Europe are in deep freeze, Israel is just waking up. These flowers can be added to any green salad to make it a piece of art.

flowers israel

Pansies, edible and beautiful

edible flowers, israel

Alyssum (left), nasturtiums (top right), begonia (lower right), all edible flowers

Oxalis, sheperd's purse

Wood sorrel (left, Oxalis pes-caprae L.) shepherd's purse (right, Capsella bursa-pastoris), perfect little hearts for a Valentine's Day salad

violet flower

Violets are often candied and used as cake decorations

grape leaf

the only plant that doesn't like winter is the grape vine

More about edible wild plants:

What’s that green-easy foraging at the souk

Green season and swiss chard meatballs

Fatayer and wild spinach

Nuts in our backyard-picking pinenuts (from Cafe Liz)

Gourmet weeds-mallow and nettle

foodwanderings January 30, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Nice!! מקסים!

Yael January 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm

What?! I’m not the first commenter? That is because i was watching TV and munching on Belgian chocolate my parents brought from Brussels.
Well, very beautiful post (again) .

Sarah January 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Thank you my favorite commenter!

turkey's for life January 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Pansies and begonias edible? Well, we learn a new thing every day! :) Are they good, though? This is the important question.

Sarah January 30, 2011 at 9:48 pm

begonias and wood sorrel are sour, shepherd’s purse has a biting flavor to it. I just wouldn’t recommend eating them from a plant nursery since they might spray them with pesticides and other harmful substances. I can’t seem to remember what pansies taste like but add them to salad anyway since they are so pretty.

Liz January 30, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Lovely! I think it’s time to start foraging, no? I’m busy trying to puzzle out all the things I’m seeing growing between cracks — I think a friend of mine has a massive patch of wild beets under her building.

Sarah January 30, 2011 at 9:49 pm

thanks, Miriam and I are organizing a foraging trip, I will keep you updated.

Miriam/The Winter Guest January 31, 2011 at 5:30 am

Beautiful photos!

Amera January 31, 2011 at 9:26 am

Good morning! Vising your blog today gave me a smile as I look out my window and see piles of snow and freezing temperatures. I’ve been so happy to find your blog and have listed you as a stylish blogger on my site. Feel free to participate as much or as little as you’d like. http://www.marocmama.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

ariella January 31, 2011 at 12:21 pm

gorgeous photos, Sarah.
Liz was just pointing out some edible plants the other day as we strolled through Neve Tzedek. I put something questionable in my mouth and declared it, dandelion!

Leslie February 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm

It’s so nice to see some life while we are buried in snow here in the Midwest. Love your blog :)

Yael the Finn February 3, 2011 at 6:48 am

OH gosh what beautiful pictures! I wish I could get hold on edible flowers too but I guess those they sell in the flowershop aren¨’t the same…Just back from icy Finland,where next to nothing is growing at the moment…

OysterCulture February 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I’d been thinking a lot about edible flowers and you have me just inspired by the beautiful pictures you’ve shared.