Garlic-mobiles and poppies

by Sarah on April 15, 2011

poppy field, springtime in Israel

A poppy field near my house

Every year in March Israeli kindergarteners learn a song, “How do we know that spring has come? When daisies and poppies have decorated my country”. It’s actually chrysanthemums, not daisies but that seems a bit heavy on the tongue.

garlic mobile, fresh garlic , Israel

For me spring officially arrives when the garlic-mobile comes to the neighborhood, selling huge bunches of fresh garlic with soil still clinging to the purple white bulbs.  It is massively stinky, seeping into clothes and skin even if left outside. “There’s nothing like this abroad” says the garlic man proudly. Although this is a colloquialism that Israelis tend to use often, in this case, I have to agree with him. Luckily the smell subsides after a few days and in return I have a year’s supply of local garlic.

Happy spring to everybody and happy fall to those Down Under.

Yaelian April 15, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Omg, that first picture is gorgeous and so is your spring video.Can I possibly show it on my regular blog (not the food blog)-
You are lucky that the garlic comes all the way to your house.I have to share the stink with my fellow bus travellers ;D

חג פסח שמח!

Sarah April 16, 2011 at 12:07 am

Thanks Yael! Feel free to use the video and share it with your readers on which ever blog you’d like. The field is right near my house, within walking distance.

ariella April 16, 2011 at 12:29 am

A garlic mobile! How convenient :) Sometimes I worry about getting the things I love if we were to move out of the city- but I then I see something like this, so nice!

Sarah April 16, 2011 at 12:40 am

It’s trickier without a car, that’s for sure, but even in my neighborhood there are vegetable stands and grocery stores close by.

Yaelian April 16, 2011 at 12:33 am

Thanks! I have to show my Finnish readers how beautiful it can be here…:D

Simcha April 16, 2011 at 6:22 am

That photo is fantastic! Would you mind if I copied it so I could use it as my computer screen. The garlic here comes a bit later but what we are buying is called green garlic it is the immature garlic before the bulbs are formed. It is very strong and dosnt come with guy in a singlet.

Jodi Lewchuk April 16, 2011 at 7:20 am

Beautiful! My aunt and uncle grow their own garlic and I love going into their shed, where there are heaps of bulbs in various stages of being dried, cleaned, and packed for long storage. They grow a variety that my great-great-grandparents brought to Canada from the old country ages ago — I love that concentrated earthy scent tinged with a floral note.

Turkey's For Life April 16, 2011 at 11:29 am

That garlic looks amazing! We love fresh garlic. We hang it on the balcony to dry but the garlic here doesn’t look half as good as that. Beautiful poppy pic! :)
Julia

Miriyummy April 16, 2011 at 11:37 pm

That garlic mobile is amazing! I wish that guy would come round to my neighborhood! When I lived just outside Jerusalem I used to buy wreaths of garlic from Machaneh Yehuda, hang them in my laundry room to dry and keep away all the vampires in the neighborhood.

Dewi April 17, 2011 at 7:33 am

Despite of that acrid smell you’ve mention, it’s so nice to have garlic man comes every year and bring fresh garlic. Love those poppies field! I can only imagine how beautiful.

Sarah April 17, 2011 at 8:02 am

Simcha- Green garlic is popular in Kurdish cooking as well. When I made Kurdish green rice that was one of the ingredients.

Jodi- How wonderful that you can trace your family’s garlic for so many generation! “concentrated earthy scent tinged with a floral note” sounds more poetic than my “stinky”

Turkeys- Thanks!

MiriYummy- keeping away vampires is an added bonus! Hag Sameach!

Dewi- If I miss the garlic man, I need to go to the souk but its not nearly as convenient and I stink up my car big time.

Rachelle Renée April 17, 2011 at 8:24 am

I could only wish that we had a garlic mobile in Philadelphia!

sari and johnny April 17, 2011 at 10:29 pm

gorgeous photo’s and lovely video clip. we also have a poppy sight like that, next to our house.
chag sameach :-)

Jamie April 17, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Oh how lucky can you be having someone deliver huge bunches of beautiful garlic to your door? I can only bet the smell is heavenly! I love the photo. And I love the red of poppy fields like that. We see a bit of it in France, the red poppies lining the highways.

Sarah April 19, 2011 at 1:08 am

Jamie, One advantage of living in this town, that and the watermelon man!

usha April 19, 2011 at 4:13 am

Hi Sarah !
What gorgeous poppies ! HOW did you know that they are my favourite flowers ?
How fortunate for you to be living near a poppy field. In India, poppies grow only in gardens and not many gardens at that.
Garlic is a staple ingredient in Indian cooking and is abundantly available in markets as also with vendors with their cartloads of veggies. I love garlic and I even pickle them in an oil and vinegar base .
Thanks Sarah for a wonderful blog. The poppies made my day.

Sarah April 19, 2011 at 4:42 am

Thanks Usha! In Israel the anemones come first, then the red buttercups and finally the poppies. I have not tried pickling garlic and would love to try.