The summer guide to having fun

by Sarah on July 10, 2011

Summer is the fun season. You don’t need expensive props or gadgets (in most cases), just a little imagination and lots of enthusiasm. Most of all you need someone to share it with. So here it is, the ultimate guide to having fun! It’s a bit short so add your ideas at the bottom.

Jump!

Jump!

Dig to China!digging to China

Swing into a pile of balloons!

swinging into balloons

Ride a camel! This one needs a big prop.

Run down a sand dune! Close your mouth if attempting this.

sanddunes israel, maalah palmach

Go fishing in style!

fishing in style

Drink something cold!

watermelon smoothie

Here’s a recipe for a fun and colorful summer drink:

Sunset Smoothie

2 cups frozen watermelon chunks

1 mango, half frozen

1 nectarine, half frozen

1 small knob of ginger, peeled (a teaspoon is good for this job)

Peel  the mango and remove the seed. Stone the necatarine. Throw everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Add a bit of cold water, about 1/4 cup, to the blender if it doesn’t combine. Pour into glasses and enjoy.

sunset smoothie

Other fun drinks you should try: Watermelon-Lemon Summer Cooler,  Red and White Sangria

Emily Segal July 10, 2011 at 9:19 am

Ah, this is funny my fellow Mother of Only Sons. I should send mine to you as we seem to be engaging in a lot of “lie in front of the fan, moving as little as possible.”

That smoothie looks perfect-o!

foodwanderings July 10, 2011 at 9:28 am

אני בלחץ רק מלראות את הילדים שלך BOUNCING OFF WALLS SO TO SPEAK LOL
אבל יופי שאת אמא רגועה כי אני על סף התקף לב והן אפילו לא הילדים שלי אבל יופי של פוסט וחוויות קייץ
COOL SMOOTHIE TOO!

Yael July 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

What a cute post! I see what your guys are up to and I’m grateful my only son is only 3. Girls are entertained in less adventurous fashion. Keep having fun :)

Barbara | Creative Culinary July 10, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I was such a tomboy growing up. My brothers were one year older and two years younger and it was sort of like not having a choice if I wanted ever present play companions.

The things we did. The things I wish kids did today. King of the Hill, Flashlight tag, bike races (I always won…boy they hated that!), swimming all day, s’mores…you have taken me back to a time when I wish I knew then to treasure more in the moment what would become the memories of a lifetime.

Sarah July 10, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Me to (have three brothers) so lots of competitions going on. Last year my boys sold lemonade and this summer they are building a tree house. It’s hard work but also the best fun.

Chez Us July 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Sarah, this is GREAT! I remember digging to China, when I was about there age. We worked on it all summer. Everyday, a little bit of hope, that we would smell fried rice anytime. Fantastic post. Made me smile ear to ear!

Sarah July 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm

They didn’t make it to China but they did find an old coin which was super exciting for them. This year they are building a tree house, which means playing with 5 kg hammers….so far so good

Zahavah July 11, 2011 at 9:03 pm

So fun — can’t wait to see everyone here in Boston soon! The smoothie looks great and so refreshing in our current heat wave.

Sarah July 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm

What! Do not tell me there is a heat wave in Boston! After you complained of the cold so much I expect some cool weather :-)

Ariella July 13, 2011 at 1:46 am

Thanks for linking to my watermelon cooler, Sarah. Love the summer spirit in all these photos.

Nicole July 19, 2013 at 10:56 am

Trying this smoothie out today! I have a whole watermelon to myself and I could really use ideas on how to eat besides just the chunks.