Global French fries

by Sarah on June 11, 2012

french fries with bulgarian feta cheese, sirene

Drenched in ketchup, drizzled with vinegar, dusted with seaweed, dipped in hummus, dunked in gravy and curds, French fries are truly an international food with a local twist. These ubiquitous fried potatoes transcend borders, both exotic yet recognizable across the world.

cutting french fries, pomme frite

I have created the ultimate intercultural French fry trivia quiz. If you’d like to test your knowledge on this iconic street food, match the city to their favorite accompaniment. The prize for answering correctly? Bragging rights- you can say you are a French fry connoisseur. Bonus if you add your own regional variation in the comments below.

1. Quebec           A. Hummus
  2. Tokyo             B. Grated white cheese
  3. Tel Aviv          C. Vinegar
  4. London           D. Double fried and salted
  5. Brussels          E. Spicy tomato sauce
  6. New York        F. Hot mustard, ketchup, mayo and bits of hotdogs
  7. Sofia               G. Masala spice mix and cilantro
  8. Lima               H. With seaweed
  9. Bombay          I. Gravy and curds (aka poutine)
  10. Barcelona       J. Ketchup
  11. Paris               K. Curry ketchup

french fried potatoes, bulgarian feta cheese

I also asked the friendly twitterverse how they ate their fries and these are the answers I received.

@Shmilty

HP sauce… The best… Or plain brown vinegar

@Rachellerm

I love using malt vinegar on my fries! But, sometimes I’m old fashioned and use the classic Heinz ketchup.

@snapsandblabs

grated Bulgarian feta!

@Yaelsr

Ketchup and Tabasco is the favorite combination.

@ErezRuder

mayo or hummus

@SpiceSpoon

dijon mustard, if w steak. If on their own, mix of sriracha and ketchup.

@Isramitch

favorite sauce is for sure mayo harissa… Otherwise fries with cheese, gravy, bacon, Merguez and caramelized onions is classic

@gaijintogoy

Abroad: Often nothing, occasionally ketchup if it’s available and any good. In U.S.: usually ketchup, sometimes nothing.

@cookrepublic

ketchup! Hot Chili Sauce! Sometimes spicy mandarin chutney!

@sharagrif

I said ketchup and mayo yesterday. In the US, I loved melted cheddar and sour cream on ‘em!

sharagrif

ketchup and mayo :)

Update on the Israel Trail

It’s hard going on the Israel Trail with the summer heat thickening our step.  We arrived in Park Britannia, about 40 minutes from Tel Aviv, with views much tamer than those from the south. I’m not sure when our next outing is going to be but hopefully we’ll manage to creep along until the temperatures have dropped to more normal levels.  Until then, here are some pictures.

israel trail, views

Caves and ruins on the Israel Trail

onion flower

Wild leek species (Allium), Allium ampeloprasum

swallow tail catepillar

Old World Swallowtail catepillar (Papilio machaon) on Pituranthos tortuosus, a wild herb that smells like dill

Rosa June 11, 2012 at 4:24 am

Gorgeous clicks (especially the picture of the catepillar) and wonderful fries!

Yael June 11, 2012 at 9:56 am

Amazing photos. I think poutine is a dreadful way to eat fries but I do miss Quebec.

jennifer barnaby June 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Well, I’m from Canada so I know for certain that in Quebec, fries are served with cheese curds and gravy and called, “Poutine.” You can buy the gravy in cans in Quebec, ready to go on your fries and curds. Personally, I think it’s disgusting but they have a loyal following. Personally, the smell of french fries and white vinegar sends me right back to my childhood, eating them while sitting on a picnic table waiting for the second feature at the drive-in to start.

Bonnie Kebic June 28, 2012 at 8:24 pm

So much poutine bashing!! Poutine is the food of the gods. How the heck can you go wrong with cheese, fries and gravy?

Sarah June 28, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I completely agree with you! French fries, gravy and curds are a match made in heaven. vive la poutine!

Eha June 11, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Lovely, informative, evocative photos – thank you! Do have to try the quiz: matter of exclusion, methinks. Have to admit to a lot of ignorance since potatoes have not been on my menus for decades . . . . :D !

Miriyummy June 11, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Adore fries, or chips, as they care called in our majorly Brit household (I’m the only American). The kids all prefer ketchup in our house, the husband likes his drenched in salt and malt vinegar, but I love mine soaked in Thai sweet chili sauce.

Liz June 12, 2012 at 6:47 am

Great quiz! But where are the answers?

Sarah June 12, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I’ll post answers in a few days, meanwhile I am discovering even more variatons…

Anita June 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I’m from Australia, where we do a bit of “tomato sauce” (i.e. ketchup) or malt or white vinegar (a throwback to the Mother Country).

Here’s my match guess!

Quebec I. Gravy and curds (aka poutine)
Tokyo H. With seaweed
Tel Aviv A. Hummus
London C. Vinegar
Brussels K. Curry ketchup
New York J. Ketchup
Sofia B. Grated white cheese
Lima D. Double fried and salted
Bombay G. Masala spice mix and cilantro
Barcelona E. Spicy tomato sauce
Paris F. Hot mustard, ketchup, mayo and bits of hotdogs

Sarah June 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Anita, Wow, you did a great job- 9/11, just switch the Paris and Lima. My favorite, as you can see in the pictures, is topped with sirene cheese (Bulgarian feta) which I discovered while visiting the Balkans. I should have added Holland’s variation- patat oorlog which @margit11 told me about.

Turkey's For Life June 30, 2012 at 9:00 am

Lol, just been making your rice fritters (they’re a staple for us, now) and noticed your Recent Posts – and here we are again, talking about fries (or chips, as us Brits call them). Ketchup, HP Sauce, gravy or Chinese curry sauce for those of us from the Northwest UK. Oh, and whichever sauce you go for, salt and a good drenching of vinegar is a must. I always chuckle when the Brits who holiday here ask the waiter for vinegar. The confused look on the waiter’s face… :)
Julia