Carrot cookies for stormy days

by Sarah on November 24, 2012

carrot cookies, stormy sea in israel

It’s raining here in Israel and I have a bad cold.  After the previous week of unremitted stress, it feels like a holiday. Ordinary problems- a leaky faucet, the morning school rush, lost keys- they are all a joy.  Yet sometimes I wish I was off the grid, living in a small town in New Zealand, pondering the weather and dreaming of adventure. That’s what keeps me sane. That and those who took the time to send their thoughts my way. Without them, I’d feel isolated, an ant under a child’s magnifying glass.

carrot cookies

carrot cookie

When there are days like that, I’m in the kitchen trying to bake the troubles away. Nothing fancy, just enough to fill the house with warmth….to keep it afloat in normalcy. Chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies are my standbys but sometimes I search the internet by ingredient and use the first recipe that comes up.

That’s how I came up with these carrot cookies, more a sweet breakfast than a dessert- dense, chewy, with the autumn scent of cinnamon and crunchy walnuts. I’d omitted the white chocolate chips but otherwise followed the Tastespotting recipe verbatim. Serve them with a tall glass of hope and optimism.

carrot cookies and beach

Rosa November 24, 2012 at 7:34 am

Good to hear that you are doing well… Please, stay safe!

Those cookies look delicious and i love your seaside pictures!

Sarah November 25, 2012 at 3:34 am

Thanks Rosa, I love the sea in winter, empty and beautiful

Miriam Kresh November 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

A gentle hug to you, Sarah. Hope baking those cookies, which look excellent, warmed your kitchen and your heart.

Sarah November 25, 2012 at 3:33 am

Miriam, To you to Miriam, hoping only rain will fall from the skies.

Yael November 24, 2012 at 10:45 am

Recovering from the cold? What great photos even though these cookies don’t usually have the most attractive look. Have a healthy week.

Sarah November 25, 2012 at 3:34 am

Thanks Yael, It’s great to get back to routine sometimes.

Eha November 24, 2012 at 6:52 pm

A baker or even an eater of baked goods I’ll never be: and this disinterest began in childhood way before one talked about the evils of sugar, salt and fat :) ! But I do remember ‘cookies’ like this from those days and do like what is baked in them and shall try ere Christmas – thank you! And may you feel less miserable by the time this reaches you . . . and may there be better days ahead . . .

Sarah November 25, 2012 at 3:32 am

Eha, Thank you. It would have been great if I was indifferent to sweets, I like them entirely too much. These however are not cloying, with only brown sugar and the natural sweetness of the carrots.

Katherine Martinelli November 25, 2012 at 2:50 am

So glad things have calmed down a bit. I, too, immediately ran to my kitchen and started baking, sirens be damned. These look lovely – such gorgeous photos. Feel better! Seems to be cold season.

Sarah November 25, 2012 at 3:28 am

Thanks Katherine, You seemed to have gotten the brunt of the sirens last week but glad you were able to continue baking. Stressful to say the least.

Joy @My Turkish Joys November 26, 2012 at 9:00 am

What a healthy-looking sweet treat! I often turn to baking when I’m angry, sad, even giddy or even when dealing with death. It helps and soothes the soul! Hoping for happier and saner days for you.